Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy Anniversary to....

My DS and DDIL!
If you follow my blog you know that my youngest son got married last year. The first anniversary gift is paper. I was trying to think of something unique that I could make for this special anniversary. I came across Sally Ann's fabulous blog and saw her amazing explosion box! This was no ordinary explosion box. It had a CAKE inside! I was in LOVE and knew that I had found the perfect gift for my dear son and dear daughter-in-law! Sally was kind enough to post the tutorial for making this adorable creation on her blog "Sazzle Craft".
This is my version:

When the lid is removed this is what you see:
Photos from their wedding. All of the photos were taken by me. I printed them out in wallet size, rounded the corners, and attached. CS is Bazzill and DP is Miss Elizabeth.

Here is a bird's eye view.

The cake is removable. The flaps lift up and have photos on both sides for a total of 12 pages in the mini photo album.

I think I had the most fun making the cake.

I made their wedding cake for the reception too. I had leftover sequined ribbon and satin ribbon that was used on the actual cake, so I used that on the paper cake. The flowers were sprayed with Turquoise Blue Glimmer Mist from Tattered Angels.  The leaves were painted with acrylic paint to match the ribbons. The silver and pearls picks and flowers were purchased at Hobby Lobby.

 I used smaller flowers on the paper cake and sprayed them. I also saved pearls to add to the flowers. The leaves on the paper cake were punched using a Creative Memories punch. The main difference between the two cakes is that the paper cake is three tierss, while the wedding cake is two. I promised the newly weds that I would make a matching 6" two layer cake for their first anniversary. Why have a year old frozen cake for your anniversary when Mom can bake you a fresh one that looks just like the wedding cake? LOL
This is a closeup of the tag. The flower, pearls, and leaves were on their actual wedding cake. Thank you, Sally Ann for coming up with this amazing idea! I think it is the perfect gift for a first "paper wedding anniversary".
Don't forget to check out Sally Ann's tutorial. You'll be glad you did!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cat I think you did a fantastic job and that cake is an absolute replica of the original too! Thanks for letting people know about my tutorial and for letting me have your feedback on it too :-)

    Hope your son and daughter in law have a great anniversary and love their exploding box memento of their big day - I'm sure they will!

    xx Happy crafting & glittery hugs xx

    Sazzle

    http://sazzlecraft.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments!