Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tutorial: How to Paper Piece

This is Lilly, one of Elizabeth's new Softpencil digi images. Elizabeth asked me to do a tutorial on how to paper piece, so here it is! Choose an image to paper piece. I chose Lilly and ran her off in 3x5, shrink to fit size. When paper piecing, you don't want an image that is too small or has too many small details.
Make three copies. One should be on white CS, and the other two on coordinating papers.
First, color Lilly's skin and hair.
I wanted Lilly's hairbow, ruffles, and shoes to be solid pink. I cut out the shoes and hairbow. The ruffles are tiny, so I cut out the entire dress. I cut off the top of the flower. I'll show that part later.
Glue the cut pieces to the dress, shoes, and hair bow. Apply the glue to the paper. It's easier that way when working with small pieces. Also a glue pen works best.
This is what Lilly looks like after the pink paper has been applied.
Next cut out the dress without any ruffles attached, and the center of the bow. Using the glue pen, attach the patterned paper.

Trace the flower on to a small piece of paper, and cut out. Then glue it in place. I chose a piece that was patterned and placed it so the pattern formed the center of the flower.
I used a Copic marker to color the stem of the flower.
 
I also used a Copic to shade the hair bow.
Then I trimmed around the figure, leaving a small border. I added pop dots and placed Lilly on an embossed Nesties circle, framed by a scalloped circle, and placed her on the card.
So there you have it! I hope you'll give paper piecing a try!

7 comments:

  1. Very well explained tutorial Cat!!! I love the papers you used and how Lilly looks ;)
    Thanks a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great tutorial.
    xxx Anne-Marije

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, love Lily with her pretty little dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so cute! Great tutorial and I also really love the way that you coloured her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial Cat, I was wondering did you print her with a laser printer, or an ink jet printer? I have an ink jet, so I am wondering it the ink wil smear on patterned paper.
    oh, the card is adorable too.

    Hugs,

    Lisa Atha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments!